Leh Mountain Biking - [10th - 20th Aug. 2014]

Leh - Highest Dessert city in the Himalayas, is the capital of the Leh region in northern India’s Jammu & Kashmir state... Originally a stop for trading caravans, Leh is now known for its Buddhist sites & nearby trekking...




Leh is the land of the Valleys & Mountains passes offering breathtaking views... It is a large valley formed by the main channels of the Indus River... Indus valley includes parts Khaltse Sub-Division tourist circuit of Leh... Major part of the surroundings of Leh town also falls within Indus valley... 
Leh - One of my dream destinations... Always used to think its next to impossible place to visit alone because of its distance as I knew it takes 3 days to reach to this place!
When I came to know about this expedition through YHAI website, I just decided 10 days before to go to Leh & to my surprise I got a very reasonable Air tickets... So now distance was not a problem for me!!! But then my flight was early in the morning 5 am so I had to reach to the Airport 2 hrs before, it means in the night 3 am.! Thanks to my brother, he arranged a taxi through his known person & that's how I could able to manage that night.
Now real excitement begins at the airport, as it was my first time & much awaited moment to fly n that to a new place - My dream destination! Simply nightmare moment - Full of excitement!!! I was completely in different world!!! Amazing experience :)
Finally when I reached to the Leh airport in the morning at about 7 o'clock, with lil fear in mind to go with unknown person in taxi, unknown place n all alone!!! But Thanks to my god, everything went so smoothly, which I had never ever imagined!!! After reaching there I didn't realize that I am not safe!!! I must appreciate people in Leh - they are so kind & helpful!!! I was feeling so safe n comfortable in Leh, that it was home like feeling... Never before experience in regards to safety n comfortability... I must say its one of the Safest place in India :)


Base camp               : Leh
Cycling Route          : LAMAYURU >> SKURBUCHAN >> SAKAR 2 >> HENISKOT >> LAMAYURU via FOTULA PASS                  
Altitude                   ~ 3505 m [11,500 ft]
Best time to visit      : April to October 
Weather                    : Summer : 5°C to 28°C / Winter : (-22)°C to 7°C 

10th Aug. 2014 - Reporting day 
1st day - I was the first one to report to the base camp that day - Jimmy Guest House At Leh... I reached before time as our reporting time was 10 am,,. so I had to wait for some time to get my room... There was 2 days rest at the Base Camp to get acclimatize with this place... It was a must to take at least 6 hours rest immediately after reaching Leh due to the climatic conditions... Thankfully I got time to recover as I was suffering from fever since when I started from Delhi... Before moving to our next camp I was completely fit n fine... First day whole day all the group members were coming, as it was just a rest day!!!

11th Aug. 2014 - Orientaion day
2nd day - There was an Orientation after breakfast... And after lunch group went for a city walk till Shanti Stupa... Unfortunately I couldn't make it as I was not well... So again whole day it was rest a day for me...




12th Aug. 2014 - LEH >> LAMAYURU by bus [11,515 ft / 110 km
3rd day - In the morning we got transferred by bus to the Main Base Camp... This was also very nice experience to go by bus n enjoying the route all over in the Valleys of Leh...

Amazed to see Army base camps all over & our soldiers keep standing out there for the safety of our Country... Hats off to them!!!



On the way we crossed Magnetic hill, which is also known as a Gravity hill, Mystery hill, mystery spot or gravity road!!! It is a place where the layout of the surrounding land produces an optical illusion, making a slight downhill slope appear to be an uphill slope, where it is said that vehicles are pulled uphill automatically...
 


Then we reached to Lamayuru camp... Beautiful camp site in the midst of the Mountains... After having welcome drink & Lunch, we got our Bicycles & other Equipments... Then we got some instructions about Bike Rules n Safety Tips etc... After having Tea & snacks we all went for a trial bicycle ride nearby to our camp... Awesome experience on the roads of Leh with the evening Beauty n Beautiful view of the Moonland... By the time it was sunset we came back to our camp...

View of Lamayuru base camp

View of tents from back of the camp

View from tents

Cycles at Base camp 

13th Aug. 2014 - LAMAYURU > SKURBUCHAN [9750 ft / 43 Km]
4th day - Next morning after having breakfast & packed-lunch we started for our next destination Skurbuchan... Started cycling with a wonderful feeling that finally we are cycling in the Leh!!! Amazing n Lifetime experience :)
On the way there was a beautiful river stream, where we took a break & enjoyed the coolness of the water as that time temperature outside was very high... Then we took a small break for a lunch in the shelter of trees n then started for our next camp...
Finally when we reached to our camp, we took long breathe after such a tiring ride!!! It was a nice campsite near school & a small village on the top... Our tents were below the huge trees & by sitting on the rocks outside of our tents we enjoyed Tea n Pakoras in the natural air... Very relaxing moment to get rid of our tiredness...
There was an arrangement of water in the school... So again it was different experience to take water from the see-saw pump...
We met few sweet n cute children of Leh who were passing nearby our tents to go to their village - I was loving it :) After having soup & dinner we had bournvita & then lights off...







14th Aug. 2014 - SKURBUCHAN >> SAKAR 2 [10,550 ft / 38 Km]
5th day - After having breakfast & packed-lunch we started for our next camp SAKAR 2 Via Sanjak - Wonderful plain roads, somewhere up n down hills, river flowing one side of the highway!!! We took a break for Lunch in the farm house in a small village... After lunch I started cycling n then I realised I am cycling alone on the whole route as if I came alone for cycling :) But I was enjoying my ride in the midst of Valleys in Leh... After crossing that village it was narrow route with river stream flowing on one side!!! Amazing experience overall with a lil fear in mind that nobody is there with me!!! But on the way I met few localities after every short distance... So it was nice experience to do chit-chat with them & to know about them - Very nice people :)

 


Finally we reached to our camp, just below the bridge on the bank of the river... Amazingly Beautiful view from our camp!!! After welcome drink, we had Tea n snacks over the bridge... whole evening we enjoyed over the bridge with the people of Leh who were passing by... Captured lots of Unforgettable memories...
 
15th Aug. 2014 - SAKAR2 >> HENISKOT [11,400 ft / 25 km]
6th day - After having Hot n Delicious breakfast (Chhole-Bhature) & packed-lunch we started for our next camp HENISKOT Via Khangral... That day it was 15th Aug. so before leaving the camp we had our National Anthem prayer together :)
 




On the way we saw lots of Army camps with very tight security!!! Wonderful people of Leh n their Remarkable hosting wherever we stopped to do chit-chat with them... Route between these two camps was Awesome as it was highway, with lots of up-hills & few down-hills throughout the way...
And guess what!!! It started raining!!! It was Awesome weather with more Beautiful Misty scenic views :)

  

We reached to our camp Heniskot (Govt. guest house)... Best of all the camp sites as it was on the top with one side Mountains, other side Valley & Beautiful Crystal clear water flowing through!!!









Few of us reached early so after welcome drink we got lots of time to take rest... Then by the time everybody comes it was tea time... So after having tea & snacks we enjoyed Wonderful evening with Beautiful surroundings... Then had Soup, delicious dinner & bournvita as per the schedule...




16th Aug. 2014 -  HENISKOT >> LAMAYURU [45 kms] via FOTULA PASS 
[13,450 ft - 27 kms Up / 11,515 ft - 18 kms Down]
7th day - Finally time to move towards our main destination Fotula Pass 13,450 Ft.!!! 
This route was the most difficult one as there was only up hills... 











When we reached to the top, I felt some darkness in front of my eyes n some uneasiness coz of High Altitude Sickness... Still it was an Amazing experience, as if we have won something!!! n Ofcourse it was an Achievement!!! We were at the Fotula Pass :)



After spending some time at Fotula pass, having some energy drinks & Chocolates, we started cycling down towards our base camp Lamayuru...
This route was the most easiest & enjoyable route of all the routes as it was total downhill (13,450 ft to 11,515 ft)... Out of the world experience as if we were not Cycling but Flying in the open air :)

View from Monastery


Finally we reached to Lamayuru, by visiting Lamayuru monastery on the way near to our camp... N while coming down towards camp it started lil raining, so again Pleasant weather - Wonderful feeling!!! Reached Lamayuru camp, deposited our cycles n other Equipments... Then had lunch with other group mates who was about to start their ride towards Fotula pass... Finally we all were transferred to Leh base camp by bus...
After reaching to our base camp, we got our rooms in other guest house, as we had to stay for 2 more days as per the schedule...

As we reached in the afternoon we had near about half day, some of us decided to go for River rafting... Though I am very much scared of water, still thought of getting some experience as all were going to different different places... 








I can never ever forget that scary moment when there was a huge flow of water trapped our boat!!! Two of the members from our group sank down into the water!!! But coz of Life jackets & safety tips they were picked up by other boat members... There were near about 5-6 boats going together... My first but now last Rafting!!! One of the most thrilling experiences in my life...

By the time of dinner we came to our guest house... Had delicious dinner & bournvita n then good night sleep :)

17th Aug. 2014 - Leh
8th day - As it was rest day, some of the group mates left that day only as per their plan & others went to the market for shopping... I was bit confused whether I should stay in Leh or should I go back to Delhi as by that time I didn't have return tickets... After lunch I went to Leh market & did some Shopping... I was feeling very homely n Comfortable just roaming around here n there in the market... But afternoon after having a small nap I was feeling like I should go back as nobody was there... So again I went to the market to search for a return ticket & unfortunately air ticket for Leh-Del was very costly (almost 4 times costlier than Del-Leh) : ( But I came to know that Srinagar to Delhi is quite reasonable, so I took a return air ticket for Delhi from Srinagar for next to next day (10th day) as 9 th day was our last day as per YHAI schedule in Leh & to reach to Srinagar by road I needed one day extra... When I came back to our guest house almost in the evening I was feeling like to go the same day to Srinagar by doing overnight journey, so that I can spend one day in Srinagar... But it was next to impossible as I was told there would not be any transport facility available for Srinagar late afternoon & it was already 6 pm... so just to give a try, I asked a guest house owner about taxi who can drop me at taxi stand!!! Thankfully one of the taxi owner was there at the same place & I asked him to drop me at the taxi stand... But he said there is no use going this time, as its already too late!!! But still I requested him to come with me just to check & if there would not be any option to go then I can come back with him... He agreed & to our surprise I got one mini bus who was about to go to Srinagar, but there were only 2 male passengers inside!!! N my mind got stucked - as it was whole night journey n going to a new place for the very first time!!! Where to stay for next day & one night tooo!!! I got confused whether I should go or not!? But then having faith in god I decided to go!!! 
Bus started almost after 2-3 hrs late in the night at about 9-10 pm n I started worried again... But god is great!!! After traveling a short distance from Leh, one of the European family entered in the bus... n I took a deep breathe by thanking god :)




 
18th Aug. 2014 - Srinagar
9th day - In the early morning as sun started rising I was in Paradise!!! Don't have proper words to explain the beauty all over in the Valley of Kashmir... Always only heard about Kashmir n now I was actually on the land of this heavenly place!!! It was just Unbelievable!!!
Got down at some place near Sonamarg to get freshen up & to have tea n breakfast... That was the time when I mingled up with this family, specially their sweet n cute daughter - Gail.
  

When we reached to the last stop just opposite to the Dal lake, I was worried about my stay!!! but lady of this family asked me, I can join them If I want!!! And as I was already very Comfortable with them, I agreed to stay with them without a single thought... Then one of the owner from Houseboat came to us to convince to book his houseboat!!! We first wanted to check this place as we had to stay for whole day & night... Thankfully we got a beautiful room in the same houseboat where we all could accommodate as there was one double bed n one single bed... So we decided to stay there...
I was so happy & thanking god for making my unplanned trip so Easy, Comfortable n Memorable!!! We all got freshened up & went outside for a Lunch... Came back to the houseboat & took some rest & then went to visit the Beautiful places in Srinagar by taxi... Mughal garden, Botanical garden, Pari Mahal, Shalimar Bagh... in the evening we got late so we had to do Shikara ride almost in the night (missed evening Shikara :( while doing Shikara we visited shops which are located in the Lake itself!!! Enjoyed a lot whole day, I didn't feel like I am alone for a second!!! This family was very caring n friendly :)

19th Aug. 2014 - back to Delhi
10th day - Next day in the early morning I took one more ride of Shikara :) Had breakfast at the restaurant outside of Dal lake... In the afternoon we had flight (different timings) for Delhi, almost 2 hrs later after their flight, but we went together at the airport... I waited for 2 extra hrs. after they left... Finally landed at Delhi in the evening with lots of Unforgettable & Mesmerizing memories... It was like my beautiful Dream came true!!! Still can't believe I did it!!! I will always cherish those Wonderful moments spent in the Beautiful Valley of Leh & Kashmir :)


Thanks to Tarun for sharing pics


 

No comments:

Post a Comment